There was an error in this gadget

Friday, December 9, 2011

Leaders and Enders

Leaders and Enders. Do you know what I mean? If you are a follower of Bonnie Hunter and Quiltville, you'll undoubtedly know what I'm referring to. As a sewer, did you learn to leave a piece of fabric under the needle when you ended your sewing time? Unfortunately, I didn't and when I first started quilting, I had so much wasted thread laying around on the floor. It was a mess. Then I stumbled across Bonnie's web sight via my Yahoo quilting group I was so impressed with everything on her sight and one thing was, you hear it coming, Leaders and Enders. I'm not going to go in to detail explaining this, you can click here for a complete description. The premise is, instead of leaving a scrap of fabric under the needle (which eventually has to be thrown away when it gets full of thread), you begin and end with a piece you are working on. When I make my Crumb Blocks (also from Bonnie's site), I am always working on two at a time. I chain sew the first two pieces of two separate blocks. Cut off the first bit and iron it flat, pick out the next bit to sew on to it and sew them together. I then cut off the second bit and iron it, then pick the next bit to sew on it and the cycle starts over. I am going to use this technique to work on my next two quilts. I will cut the fabric for Wyatt's and Caitlyn's quilts and then start chain sewing and work on each at the same time. I'll add pictures as they become available.

No comments:

Post a Comment